Why Buy A Driving Experience From Thruxton?
Tiff Needell highlights why a driving experience at Thruxton offers more than other venues.
Top Reasons to Buy a Thruxton Driving Experience
- No on the day pressure to purchase expensive accident damage waiver at registration. The price you see is the price you pay
- Thruxton is the fastest race track in the UK and a fully licensed FIA venue - not a disused airfield.
- Our driving experience days operate in a Covid safe environment.
- We'll automatically extend your voucher if you have to cancel due to Covid-19.
- No 70mph speed limits or numerous "cone chicanes" to keep the speed artificially slow.
- Models from Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Jaguar, Lotus, Ford, Alpine, Aston Martin and Renault plus single-seat racing cars.
- You drive on the full 2.4-mile circuit as used by the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC) and other top-class racing plus we have all the expected venue spectator facilities.
- Over 40 years of experience in operating driving experiences.
- 360-degree cameras in all our cars - allowing you to relive your driving experience on any device in 4K resolution. Find out more
We want to substantially raise the game of driving days and driving experiences in the UK - to give our customers the best choice and best value for money driving experiences on a properly licenced race circuit in the UK, in a fleet of amazing supercars and racing cars.
Thruxton circuit the fastest in the country with legendary high-speed corners and a reputation as a real driver's circuit. It is also one of the longest in the UK at 2.4 miles per lap - something to consider when comparing us with our competitors!
Like many race circuits, Thruxton was originally a wartime airfield. Commissioned in 1941 the airfield was host to both the RAF and USAF and played a major part in the D-Day landings.
In 1968 a new layout ignored the old runways and followed the lines of the perimeter road with the inclusion of the chicane and further round the track three corners in quick succession.
Thruxton has seen all our recent Formula 1 drivers' race regularly at the track at some time in their career. In 1993 Damon Hill Formula One world champion drove a demonstration run in the Williams FW15C, recording an incredible 57.6-second lap of the 2.4-mile circuit, an average speed of 147.25 mph. It is now the high-speed rounds of the British Touring car championship and superbikes that regularly bring in capacity crowds.
Thruxton Motorsport Centre [formally Ian Taylor Racing Drivers School] was founded over thirty years ago. We are the longest established driving experience company in the UK and offer the widest range of cars to drive on a proper race circuit.
Owned by the largest organiser of race meetings in the UK (The BARC), the company has seen continual investment to ensure our customers always drive the best machinery available and experience the best day possible.
Besides operating our own events at Thruxton we are also employed by many motor manufacturers to help operate and provide instructors for their prospecting and training driving programme at race circuits and other driving venues across the UK.
Covid 19 Response
2020 presented some unique challenges to ensure our driving experience days could operate in a Covid safe environment. We're pleased to say that we were able to operate throughout the summer without any issues. Thousands of customers have enjoyed driving our fleet of supercars and racing cars on track, sliding card around on the skid pan and getting muddy on the 4x4 course. Find out more
Gift vouchers are valid for 12 months. If the event date you book has to be postponed or you can not attend due to Covid-19, we'll automatically extend your voucher free of charge.
More Reasons to Buy From Thruxton
- We have over 35 years' experience operating driving days and experiences
- Buying direct from us means cutting out 'the middle man' (agencies) and saving money
- We don't use an airfield for our driving experiences (driving up and down a disused runway)
- We use the full Thruxton race circuit, 2.4 miles per lap - one of the longest circuits in the UK
- Thruxton is the fastest circuit in the UK
- We offer weekday and weekend dates to customers who buy direct. We also allow our customers greater flexibility if they need to move/change the date
- We don't have a complicated call centre, our office is based at Thruxton so our customers can always speak to the same member of staff - and our staff are always happy to help!
- We are located just outside Andover (near Stonehenge) only 1 hour from London Heathrow, 40 minutes from Southampton, 1 hour 30 minutes from Bristol and Birmingham
- Easily accessible from road, rail and air